Rose is one of the flavours you either love or hate - here it is a wonderful addition to harissa.
Why not make your own? Many shop bought marinades, sauces and pestos are full of highly processed inflammatory seed/vegetable oils which when consumed on a regular basis can be highly detrimental to our health - so check those labels. Insread, use high quality extra virgin olive oil for the delicious flavour and all the health benefits.
5 cloves garlic
5 Chillies, any mix of fresh chills and dried (rehydrate before use in some boiling water) ancho, guajillo, birds eye
2 large bell peppers (or if pushed for time you can use a jar of roasted peppers)
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsps cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp dried rose petals
1 tbsp rose water
1 tsp salt
5 tbsps of the Governor Extra Virgin Olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180°c, Gas mark 4.
2. Place the peppers, garlic and chillies into a roasting dish, drizzle in EVOO and pop in the oven for 20 minutes and roast until slightly charred. Remove and leave to cool then remove the skins.
3. Meanwhile toast the whole spices in a frying pan on a medium heat for 3 minutes until fragrant.Transfer them to a pestle and mortar or a spice grinder and blitz into a fine powder.
4. Place the cooked veggies into a food processor, add the spices, EVOO, lemon, honey and salt then blitz until you have a smooth paste.
5. Transfer to a sterilised jar and top with olive oil. It will keep for 2-3wks in the fridge. Use as a marinade for fish or meat, stir into Greek yoghurt to make a delicious accompaniment, stir into pasta, rice dishes, soups, liven up your veg, or simply add some to EVOO for a quick salad dressing.
Buy your Governor EVOO here.
A home from home with an official opening of speci...
MERLYN’s support makes miles of difference for t...